Thursday, December 4, 2008

It was just a shirt

I'm not writing this to complain or make people feel sorry for me, but I am writing this so someone might learn from my mistake. Last night I had an experience that really made me realize how easy it is to let little things turn into big things,which in turn makes us miss the important or specials things. Joels Christmas school program was last night, and I was super excited for it, but as the night went on it turn from exciting to frustrating. It started out with getting Joel dressed, I made him wear his church shirt, which he was not happy about, then everything went downhill from there. Fits were thrown, toys were thrown away and there were lots of tears. By the time we got to the school, both Joel and I were very upset. Joel was of course fine after he got with his class, but me being me, continued to let myself get more angry to the point that I didn't even enjoy the program, and I stayed angry until I went to bed. But as I thought about it I realized how silly this whole thing was. If I would have let Joel pick his shirt, this whole situation would have been avoided. Something small and a lot of bad choices on my part ruined the whole evening and I missed out on the enjoying what really mattered and I won't be able to get that back. So if you guys find yourselves in a similar situation whether it is with your kids or your husbands, remember it is just a shirt, or whatever it may be for you.

4 comments:

Familia Morales said...

Thanks for sharing that Pam. It's nice to have a reminder. Don't beat yourself up over it though. Hope you're having a better day.

Feels Like Today said...

Oh, I remember having lots of those moments - it didn't take you as long to get it as it did me. Moms tend to do lots of guilt trips - remember that cute little book that puts things in perspective.....I forgot the name of it - what a surprise.

Anyway, same to you guys - a late Happy Thanksgiving:)

Chelsi said...

Thanks for sharing. I think everyone has those times where you look back and say wow, I really blew it this time. The important part is that you realize your mistake, learn from it, then move on and try to be better. You are awesome Pam!

ray-ray says said...

We had the same night!!

Corgan was hyped up about the program. He had to wearing the right clothes, we had to leave on time. He heard me saying that we were going to be late and all hell broke loose.
Then Lily and Blake weren't listening, we couldn't find a blank tape to record on, Aaron wasn't driving fast enough. Aagghh!!

But in the end, all was well and everybody was happy. That was until I threw away Lily's plate that she had her goodies on....

*Sigh*