While talking to my mom last night I found something out that kind of troubled me. So I need to vent a little.
My mom attended a school board meeting to decide whether or not the high school would be allowed to put on a certain play. I'm not sure what the name of the play is, but I do know that it was written by Steve Martin, and on the script it actually says, CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT. From what I understand there is inappropriate sexual stuff in the script. Well an LDS girl who had gotten a part in the play, after reading the full script, took it to the superintendent, he read through it, the decided that it wasn't appropriate and canceled it. You think it would end there, but what happened next shocked me. The principal of the high school and a teacher petitioned it. They wanted it to continue because they felt that there was nothing wrong with it, and it would be a good learning experience for the kids. The sad thing is several board members and lots of parents and people in the community agreed with them. When it was discussed that they could keep the play if the inappropiate parts were removed, people were angry, saying that certain religious belief were being forced on them and the newspaper backed them up. Where have our societies values gone?
Luckily the play was canceled, but I couldn't believe that people would fight to keep it. I am glad that one girl had the courage to stand up and say "this isn't right". She has set a great example and has motivated several people to speak out. We need more people like her to make hard choices and do the right thing.
Monday, March 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Wow. Sounds like values have gone down the drain for a lot of people. That's great that the girl had the guts to do what she did.
Ugh. I just read the editorial from the newspaper. They make it sound like just because teens are surrounded by 'adult-theme' stuff everywhere than they can stand to have a little more - just because it's not as inappropriate as the movies targeted at them or what happens everyday on a high school campus. Oh yeah! Since they're surrounded by it everywhere else, let's throw some more junk at them! What a brilliant idea! Like I said, ugh.
It's stories like that..... that make me happy to be LDS and to have morals to up hold too. I just hope that I would have had the courage to stand up the way that girl did.
I hope that girl has a good support system! Gosh, it sounds like she went through a lot of drama (ha ha) just because she was trying to do what is right. She probably felt attacked by all the adults and editorials that are trying to be "open minded" and "supportive" about what they don't actually approve of teenagers doing. Thanks for the story. There are some really good kids out there, and I hope I can raise some like that, too.
Post a Comment