Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Making a Difference!!!

So I was in my car the other day and I heard this song, "Somebody's Hero" (thanks Melissa). It talked about how this woman had never done anything really heroic or important, like walking on the moon or walking down the red carpet, but everyday to her little girl she was a hero. Then she goes on and basically talks about being a mother and how important it is.(maybe not in those words but that's what I got from it .)

And that got me thinking, how sometimes as women we strive to make a difference in the world, and most the time it isn't in a way that will be televised to the world, but within the walls of our homes. But it is very hard to feel like we are making a difference, because everything we do gets undone. When we get one child to stop crying, the other two start, or when we get a dirty diaper changed, we see a pair of underwear on the floor next to a puddle, followed by a naked bum. Dishes, laundry, garbage it never really ends. In the songs she talks about how long and hard she works but she doesn't receive a paycheck, instead her payment is in kisses, hugs and "I love yous". I realized how true that is, every time one of my kids give me a kiss or tells me they love me, or on very rare occasions that I'm the best mom ever, it makes everything worth while. And the "payment" I receive means so much more than money, and lasts much longer.

I may not be seen in the worlds eyes as anyone special who has done something spectacular, but in my children s eyes I am a hero. Every time I make a pancake in the shape of a shark, or manage to do a cartwheel without ending up in the hospital, or bandage up a hurt knee, I'm a hero. And I can make a difference in this world, by raising good, honest, respectful children who will grow up and raise good children. Because that is what the world needs and that is what will make the biggest difference in this world.

5 comments:

Familia Morales said...

Awesome Pam! I think the song is called "Somebody's Hero" or "She's Somebody's Hero" by Jessica Andrews? I don't know if that's the song you were thinking of

Pamela Brown said...

Thanks Melissa, I've been looking for that song all over. It's "Somebody's hero", by Jamie O Neal.

ray-ray says said...

i don't think i could add anything else...

Lore Smart said...

So true Pam....It is those touching moments when youre kids say "mamma I love you" that all of those tough times and hard work pays off!!! You are such a sweet mom Pam and definitely a hero! Loved your post...so touching!

Chelsi said...

Thanks Pam! I have always loved that song too :) I have the cd if you want a copy of it! You are a great mom and I love all your thoughts about being a hero. Being a mom can be so draining at times, but it is even more rewarding than any paycheck could ever be. You're a great mom Pam and I know your kids love you so much!

P.S. your family pictures are ADORABLE! I am still working on editing them. hopefully they'll be done by this weekend.