Monday, November 17, 2008

The only prayer that begins and ends with a fight

I remember growing up and when it was time for family prayer, we knelt down together in a circle and my father picked someone to say it, and we would all reverently fold our arms and close our eyes and patiently wait until the prayer was over and than we would all make a mad dash to the dinning room so we could all get our favorite spot at the table. The good old days. Let me paint a picture of how my family prayers are now that I have my own family. We sit down at the table and sing the song

Open, shut them, open, shut them
give a little clap
Open ,shut them,open ,shut them
fold them in your lap

As soon as the song is finished Joel starts saying a prayer as fast and as loud as he can, mean while Bailee is screaming at the top of her lungs, telling Joel to stop. Both Justin and I are talking as loud as we can trying to get both of them to stop. Then the crying and the fits start. When it is all said and done, Joel and Bailee are sitting in time-outs, still trying to out-do each other with their prayers, Justins blood pressure is sky high, I've got my box of chocolates and I'am headed for the t.v, and Sydney is still in the high chair with one arm folded, the other in the air saying "My turn". Some where in there I think we've lost the spirit, but I'm not sure if it is before or after the song. I can only imagine what this would look like to Heavenly Father and the good laugh he is getting out of it.


3 comments:

Chelsi said...

I loved reading this post. you do such a great job describing it! It's these stressful times that you'll be able to look back at and laugh, but for now you can eat chocolate, watch tv and blog about it right ;) Good times!

Ashleigh said...

That sounds about right! What a cute little family you have!

Lore Smart said...

Totally made me laugh. I think all that matters is that you at least tried. You are doing a great job Pam!