Monday, February 9, 2009

Realistic

This is completely random and long, sorry, but I hope I'm not the only one who does this. So I have a confession. I am a recovered unrealistic guilt-a-holic. Wow that was a long word. I had an unrealistic picture of what I expected myself, my kids and my life to be like and if it was anything less I would feel like a failure. Let me paint a picture of my unrealistic expectations:

When I start the day I expect myself to get up in the morning at the crack of dawn to do my morning exercise, followed by an hour of scripture reading and a shower. Then I cheerfully make my children and husband a full breakfast and healthy lunches and send them off to school. I then clean my house to perfection, get the girls dressed, and do craft and learning activities until lunch time, and again I make a perfectly healthy lunch and immediately clean up, and put the girls down for nap. During nap time I work on sewing clothes, do humanitarian work, and organizing my house. When the girls wake up I cheerfully greet them with a hug and a kiss. We then spend more time together playing , until it's time to pick up the boys from school. Take children to their activities and full fill my Church calling. By the time Justin gets home an immaculate dinner is ready and I am perfectly made up with a huge smile on my face ready to report about my wonderful day. At bedtime everyone runs to their room excited to finally be going to sleep, hugs, kisses and prayers are next. When the children are asleep, the house is cleaned again and I finished any unfinished projects. I then snuggle up to Justin and my day is done, feeling completely fulfilled.
And of course during all of that my children are perfectly polite and obedient, and I never say a cross word or raise my voice. Than the next day I get it up and do it all over again.

COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS!!!!!!! Does this sound familiar to anyone? It's actually kind of sad but funny at the same time. If we were sent here to be perfect moms and have perfect families, we wouldn't need to be here. So I'm celebrating the little goals that I am able to accomplish each day and ridding myself of the guilt of not reaching my huge unreasonable goals.

Here are my simplified realistic goals:
To get out of Bed
Get myself and the girls out of our Pajamas before it is bedtime again
Take a shower before 2 o' clock
Only get upset a maximum of 5 times in one day
Remember to say hi to Justin when I see him, and give him a kiss before bed.
Do the dishes at least once a day
Choose one meal a day and make it a nice.

Most important to SURVIVE each day and feel proud of what I did!!!!

6 comments:

The Odermott's said...

I know exactly what you mean!!!!! I do that almost everyday and every night I get so sad that I didn't even get a fourth of it done. And I only have one child. :)

Familia Morales said...

Amen! Especially to the shower before 2 o'clock thing! I like your smaller more realistic goals

Chelsi said...

Oh Pam you are amazing! Life just wouldn't be worth it if things were perfect and I have to remind myself that MULTIPLE times a day. You have great goals and one day (maybe in the next life) everything will be perfect and we'll get to be completely fullfilled. Until then, well we just have to enjoy each crazy moment =)

ray-ray says said...

yep--i'd rather not live in a "stepford-wife" kind of world.

i do like the modified version of the checklist much better.

Lore Smart said...

LOVED your post Pam. Totally made me laugh! You are so right, if we are all perfect moms there would be no point being here. Perfectly said, just to SURVIVE each day is an accomplishment! HOpe you had a great time in Oregon!

Beth Tunnell said...

Hallelujah! I love the part about getting dressed before getting into jammies... I forgot my visiting teacher was coming one morning at 9:30 (I know, who makes appointments that early, right?) And I was just so relieved that I wasn't in my bathrobe that I didn't care my house was a crazy mess.